0844 numbers are officially referred to as ‘service numbers’, meaning they are never free to call regardless of your tariff type and network operator.
Breakdown of 0844 call charges
Calls to 0844 numbers consist of two separate per-minute charges, the first of which is a service charge of up to 7p per minute which is paid to the company which owns the number. The second is an access charge which is determined by your provider, which can be significantly more expensive for mobile users in comparison to calls made from a UK landline.
Total per-minute cost of calling 0844 numbers
- Per-minute cost of phoning 0844 numbers on EE
- Landline customers pay 18p per minute whereas mobile users pay up to 57p per minute to phone 0844 numbers on EE.
- Per-minute cost of phoning 0844 numbers on O2
- O2 Pay Monthly customers pay up to 62p to phone 0844 numbers.
- Per-minute cost of phoning 0844 numbers on Vodafone
- Vodafone mobile customers have to pay up to 62p per minute to phone 0844 numbers whereas landline users will only have to pay up to 18p per minute.